Tincklers Lane to St Marys Eccleston

Moderator: Neil Southworth

John Edwards
Peregrine

Tincklers Lane to St Marys Eccleston

Post by John Edwards »

14 Whooper Swans flew over heading East at 7-40 this morning, a male and female Mandarin were on the River, the Goldeneye was last seen on Saturday also a Green Sandpiper and Kingfisher. 30 Pinkfeet over yesterday were the first for a week. Fieldfares and Redwings in small numbers and the odd Snipe but still no Jacks yet.
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Re: Tincklers Lane to St Marys Eccleston

Post by John Edwards »

4 Mandarin this morning, also 3 Buzzard, 2 Grey Wagtail, 1 Pied Wagtail with small numbers of Fieldfare and Redwings.
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

Six Mandarin in flight this morning, looks like they are now permanent fixtures in this area. Also today male Goosander, imm Goldeneye, flyover Raven and the first sightings of Bullfinch for a while with 3 seen.
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

I think this mild weather is fooling the birds into thinking it's spring with a pair of Goosander a pair of Mandarin and a pair of Coot back on the pond where they usually nest, they were last sighted here in early September. c350 Pinkfeet heading West in 3 skeins. A single Teal was seen yesterday.
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

3 Goosander this morning, a male and 2 females, the pair of Mandarins were seen also the pair of Coots and the Goldeneye though this was further upriver than usual. 100+ Pinkfeet flew over heading west. Only 16 Fieldfares and 2 Redwing seen and 3 Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, 3 Pied Wagtail, 6Collar Doves, 40+ Mallard and 4 Moorhen
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

In the half light this morning I saw what appeared to be 9 Mandarin with 4 Mallard circling around above the fields on the Croston side of Syd Brook lane before dropping down onto the field (possibly a small pond there?). a brief visit to Yarrow Valley Park added Dipper to my Chorley list (97).
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

3 Curlew flew off the first field, Tincklers Lane and headed inland I think this could be my latest date for Curlew in Eccleston. Also Goldeneye still on the Yarrow no sign of any Mandarin today though, I suspect all the wildfowl had been flushed off the weir before I arrived.
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

A male Mandarin was on the river today also the Goldeneye still. A flock of 14 Teal flew off the river on Monday.
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

Goldeneye still this morning also 3 Buzzards, 50+Fieldfare and 6 or 7 Redwings.
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

The River was very high this morning, in low lying places it had overflowed, the footpaths are still passable though. A male Mandarin was seen in flight with Mallards. I havn't seen the Goldeneye since Tuesday, a Snipe was seen on Wednesday which could have been a Jack. Also today 2 Coot, 1 Heron, 1 Buzzard, 1Kestrel, c40 Mallard, 14 Goldfinch, 20 Fieldfare, 10 Redwing, 24 Blackbirds, 3 Song Thrush, 2 Mistle Thrush and a Grey Wagtail.
John Edwards
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Post by Paul Whittaker »

There was a female Goldeneye on Twin Lakes yesterday so it is probably the same bird.
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

It might well be Paul, was it an immature bird?
John Edwards
Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Hi John,
I thought the bird at Twin Lakes was adult but it was at the far end of the lake from my viewing position and I was being distracted somewhat by a terrier trying to dig a hole under the fence so I could be wrong!
Paul
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

Hi Paul, the Goldeneye thats been on the Yarrow in the last weeks was an immature bird so if the bird at Twin Lakes is an adult it would be a different bird.
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

A pair of Goosander at the church end of the river this morning, good numbers of Fieldfare with a flock of 140+ seen also a skein of c60 Pinkfeet over, a female/immature Mandarin was seen briefly.
John Edwards

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”