Croston Moss

Moderator: Neil Southworth

John Edwards
Peregrine

Croston Moss

Post by John Edwards »

I paid a visit today in the hope of seeing the Willow Tit for my Chorley list after paying two visits to the feeding station I was giving up hope of seeing it and started to walk away I turned for one last look and there it was, I quickly took a photo before it flew off! Around 50 Swans on the field with Mutes, Whoopers and a Bewicks, my binoculars were useless as the sun was right behind them so I just took loads of pics and hoped for the best. There was a little Grebe in the channel and a large flock of Skylarks on the fields plus Yellowhammers, Corn Buntings, Linnets and Goldfinch etc. At least 3 Buzzards and 3 Kestrels seen the only mammal was a Stoat which ran across the path in front of me.
Attachments
Willow Tit Ch#001.jpg
Willow Tit Ch#001.jpg (38.55 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
Bewicks#001.jpg
Bewicks#001.jpg (107.77 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
John Edwards
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Re: Croston Moss

Post by Chris Rae »

Nice one (two), John.
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

Thanks Rae, I'm on 99 for my Chorley list so just need the one more to make the ton.
John Edwards
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Late afternoon visit to Loch Meadow, where the herd of swans had increased to 58, with the Bewick's still with them. Assuming the Mute Swan numbers are constant at 15, that would mean 42 Whoopers present
On the way c100 Skylark took up out of a stubble field as I passed, along with 100 or so Linnet and other LBJ's.
The highlight though was watching a male Merlin prospecting for Skylark around the stubble field. Across the railway hundreds of corvids were constantly in the air. Other birds seen included Buzzard, 2 Kestrel and Jay.

Bewick's Swan takes me to 129.
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

Good to hear the Berwick is still there Neil and the Whoopers numbers are increasing. I was looking out for a Merlin when I visited on Wednesday looks like I'll have to pay another visit!
John Edwards
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

Just done a count of my Chorley list and found that I hadn't included the Goldeneye I found on the River yarrow, so I'm on 100!
John Edwards

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”