Fungi in Duxbury Woods

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Fungi in Duxbury Woods

Post by Joyce Riley »

I joined other members of the North West Fungus Group for the morning part of the foray in Duxbury Woods today. Some larger fungi have at last appeared and of particular interest to me was a Giant Funnel in an area where I have seen this species years ago and nearby were 3 large Spotted Toughshanks. A felled tree trunk had a beautiful display of Tripe Fungus, while a smaller log had a fine group of Angel's Bonnets, both of these being well photographed! We also found the first Milkcaps I had seen this year with Birch and Coconut Milkcaps identified and groups of Sulphur Tuft were just appearing on dead stumps as was Candlesnuff Fungus. The experts also identified lots of LBJs and no doubt found many more fungi this afternoon after I had left! 2+ Grey Squirrels also seen and there were lots of fresh molehills in the grassland by the drive.
Very noticable on the grassland area with trees including Birch off Duxbury Hall Road near the junction with Wigan Lane were 15+ large Brown Birch Boletes.

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”