New Years Resolution and sightings around Croston 2nd Jan

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

New Years Resolution and sightings around Croston 2nd Jan

Post by Paul Whittaker »

Fresh motivation brings me back to the forum in 2014 with enthusiasm to submit records of my observations.
Today I walked around the Croston area for a good part of the day, recording 37 species including a Little Gull (1st winter) in a small flock of Black-headed Gulls on the Clay Pigeon Shoot field opposite the E-shaped Pond. Nearby there were 4 Grey Herons on Wymott Brook at the back end of the pond. Lots of Black-headed Gulls, Redwing and Fieldfare in the same area. Just a few Coot on the pond itself but there were a couple of pike fishers active which will no doubt cause some disturbance to the wildfowl.
I did call at Twin Lakes on the way through and noted Wigeon, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe and Mute swans etc.
In Croston were 4 (regular) Goosander on the Yarrow along Shevington Causeway and between here and my home near Home Farm on Grape Lane I noted between 40 and 50 Mallard.
Tree Sparrows along the hedgerows on Turflands and common woodland birds including Nuthatch and Long-tailed Tits in The Croft and along Grape Lane complete the picture.
Depending on the expected stormy weather tonight and time demands from my other role and a teenager taxi service, I will try to get out again!
Twin Lakes looks well today in the sunshine and with such a good number of birds. Local knowledge is that the owners still want to drain these waters and turn them into landfill however at the moment an angling club has rented the fishing rights so I hope it remains that way.

Return to “2014 Recent Sightings Submissions”