Site blocked.

Updates about the running of the website. Feel free to post comments here if you feel something needs to be added or improved.

Moderators: phil kirk, richardwkirk

Paul West
Goldeneye

Site blocked.

Post by Paul West »

Website blocked by Internet explorer from work and also Google chrome from home. Both report malware on site. I am having to post this via my BlackBerry tablet. Is anybody else seeing this issue?
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re: Site blocked.

Post by Neil Southworth »

Paul,
I've not had any problems accessing the site, but I know one other user who had is password rejected. Will have a look into it.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Google Chrome is blocking entry to the site on the grounds of possible malware, but there doesn't appear to be a problem via Internet Explorer.
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Same for me.

Chris
richardwkirk
Site Admin

Post by richardwkirk »

Hi all,

I have been made aware of the issues and I am investigating the problem. To give a high level overview, the site was hacked at the end of last week. The intruder (whether human or automated) added a piece of javascript to a lot of pages. This script attempted to download a piece of malware from another site onto your PC. I have removed the offending javascript by restoring a backup of the site from pre-attack.

The javascript mainly impacted the older pages on the site (pre-2010) however it is possible that any page was impacted. I would recommend that if you do not already have anti-virus software installed you download something and scan your PC. If you have an up to date browser and anti-virus it is unlikely this will impact you. If you do not have this then there is some chance that the malware will be on your PC. I have given details below about two tools you can use to check your PC.

I am continuing to search for further issues and will keep you informed. I will do what I can to increase security and prevent further issues. It may take a few days for the site to become unblocked and browsers to declare us clean again.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Richard

Scanning your PC for threats
If you wish to scan your PC for threats as a precaution and don't have an existing application to do this, I would recommend the free tools:

Malwarebytes (anti-malware): http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Avast (anti-virus): http://www.avast.com/

Both also provide paid for solutions with extra features however the free versions should be able to find most issues on a home PC.
richardwkirk
Site Admin

Post by richardwkirk »

Google has now unblocked the site. There shouldn't be any more issues accessing it from your browser.
duxbury rambler
Raven

Post by duxbury rambler »

Everything is fine on Google Chrome now.
Paul West
Goldeneye

Post by Paul West »

Yes Explorer and Google now working fine.

Return to “Website News”