Croston Flood Risk Management Scheme

Latest news about the society and events in our area.

Moderators: Neil Southworth, phil kirk

Paul Whittaker
Golden Eagle

Croston Flood Risk Management Scheme

Post by Paul Whittaker »

The latest newsletter from the EA and recent coverage in the LEP has highlighted the preferred option for a new flood defence scheme for Croston. This is to create a flood storage area on a site upstream of Eccleston Bridge which will comprise a long embankment dam across the Yarrow. This will work by restricting the volume of water passing downstream with excess water being stored until it can be released safely.
This is still only an option but now further discussions will take place with landowners and the EA are holding a drop-in session at Croston Methodist Church on 29th January between 2:30 until 8:00 for the public to find out more. The EA have listed a number of upcoming activities including assessment of the environmental impacts and opportunities leading up to construction from Winter 2014 onwards.
I will attend the drop-in from a personal point of view and thought I would post this to ensure the Society is also engaged in this scheme.
phil kirk
Site Admin

Re: Croston Flood Risk Management Scheme

Post by phil kirk »

Thanks for keeping us informed, Paul.

It is my theory that people settled at Croston centuries ago because it was the lowest point on the river that did not flood in severe conditions like those Croston has suffered in recent years.

So what did they do? In the late 60's/early 70's they built embankments on the Rivers Douglas and Yarrow to stop Croston Moss flooding. Worked pretty well, but the water has to go somewhere. They have succeeded in stopping the flood plain from flooding, thereby causing flooding up-river.

So now the farmers of Eccleston will have flooded fields while the farmers of Croston Moss will have dry(ish) ones.

Breach the embankments on the rivers Douglas and Yarrow, let the flood plain do its job. Just my opinion.
(PS That would also make it a fantastic place for winter birding!)

Return to “News”