Please help birds in Standish

Latest news about the society and events in our area.

Moderators: Neil Southworth, phil kirk

Pete Hewitson
Goldfinch

Please help birds in Standish

Post by Pete Hewitson »

Hello, I have been following this forum with interest for some time although I live a few hundred metres outside your area in Standish. Much of my walking and nature watching is done on your patch and I have been very grateful for information on birds that you have all spotted locally.
I have been moved to register because I want to ask for your help in opposing the planning application for land at Stars Brow, Standish (behind Olive Garden restaurant on Preston Road). This is just across Stars Brook from Coppull and some of you may know it. The proposal to landfill and "restore" this area will have a very damaging effect on local birds and other wildlife. The closing date for comments on these proposals is November 11th so this is somewhat urgent.
The planning application can be viewed here:
http://kinnear.wigan.gov.uk/planapps/Pl ... A/13/78647

I do not know how to attach pdf or docx files to this post but if anyone would like to see the consultation leaflet I was sent and the comments that I have submitted to Wigan Council, I would be happy to email them to you.

I realise that you are probably all Chorley residents but, if you know the site, I hope that Wigan Council would take your views into account. I would be really grateful if some you could send in comments to planningrepresentations@wigan.gov.uk.

Pete
kitty
Blue Tit

Re: Please help birds in Standish

Post by kitty »

Good Evening

We have more info about the proposed landfill of Stars Brow at Standish and the terrible effect it will have on not only the buzzards nesting there and many other birds that use the area but also the newts and frogs that inhabit the pools. We need to raise awareness and seriously object to Wigan Council about the consequences of filling this land that has not been extracted for 30 years, next to Stars Brook, which is now a natural haven for so much wildlife, with as much building waste as possible.

Thanks
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Re: Please help birds in Standish

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Pete, you mentioned Newts, does that include Great Crested Newts?

Return to “News”