Unusual behaviour?

Keith Woan
Goldeneye

Unusual behaviour?

Post by Keith Woan »

This morning I had a rareity for my garden - a pied wagtail. However all during the period of its stay it was harassed by a female blackbird and was eventually chased off. The blackbird didn't bother about the chaffinches, robins, tits etc so I was wondering why it picked on the wagtail. [/img]
Keith Woan
Goldeneye

Unusal behaviour?

Post by Keith Woan »

The wagtail came back to the garden and started to behave aggresively towards the chaffinches and tits but once again was chased off by the blackbird. I realise that this may be a feeding defence but can't understand why the blackbird only chases off the wagtail and other blackbirds.
tony
Raven

Post by tony »

I have both blackbirds & pied wagtails in my small back yard this last week, & they are happy to feed alongside each other.
David Beattie
Peregrine

blackbird

Post by David Beattie »

Having watched how aggressive my robin is, I wouldn't try to chase that off either
Dave Beevers
Goldeneye

Pied Wagtail

Post by Dave Beevers »

i have a regular visit from a Pied Wagtail but it has no problem with any other species.however on he only occassion when it was joined by a 2nd younger bird it chased it off immediately
Ian Woosey
Woodpecker

Post by Ian Woosey »

I have had two Pied Wagtails visit my back yard during the late bad snow, feeding on the RSPB`s finest table mix no less.. There has also been a Robin visiting, and every time they have met the wagtails have actively chased it away. Meek Robin, or bold Wagtails .....?

Return to “2010 Recent Sightings Submissions”