Help with bird call

Post any news of rare sightings from outside the area or any holiday information you may wish to pass on.
Joan Waidson
Buzzard

Help with bird call

Post by Joan Waidson »

Hello. Please can someone help with identifying a bird call/song on Worden Park today
Bird was high in tree, some way off and I couldn't get close to see it
Very loud call - thrush like quality to the call, but not a thrush - no variation to song like you would expect.
3 x quickly repeated SHUI call, - Shui, Shui, Shui - pause for 5 to 10 seconds then repeated - different length gaps.
Over and over again. Occasionally it said EEUU - like a reverse Shui
Hope someone has some idea. I am usually quite good at identifying bird calls/songs but this one defeated me
Thanks all
gary lilley
Avocet

Re: Help with bird call

Post by gary lilley »

Nuthatch maybe joan .
Joan Waidson
Buzzard

Post by Joan Waidson »

No Gary - definitely not nuthatch - slower call, always 3 each time, much much louder, flutey/thrush quality. We initially thought it could be a warning beeping noise as there was machinery on the park, but the gaps between the calls were not equal, the notes differed in delivery as above - occasionally EEUU instead of SHUII
Could make this a quiz
Thanks for responding
Joan Waidson
Buzzard

Post by Joan Waidson »

When I say slower, slower than Nuthatch but not actually slow. Nuthatch sounds trilly this was definite punctuated sounds
Joan Waidson
Buzzard

Post by Joan Waidson »

So - this bird has been bothering me.
I found this on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1SyluTQfHk
The nearest thing to the call/song we heard is at 41:49 but with the first syllables only - we didn't hear any 'rattle' at the end
Is it in any way possible a ring ouzel could have been in Worden Park on a Thursday afternoon in late August??
Feel a bit daft for asking - as this is not a normal ring ouzel hangout

Return to “Out of Area Sightings”