We are the Chorley and District Natural History Society. We are a charity operating in Chorley, Lancashire.
This site is provided keep members up to date with current goings on and allow others to see the kind of work we do. Here you will be able to see current and past Newsletters and Annual Reports. If you want to contribute and find out what other members have been up to please visit our forum.
If you are interested in joining the Chorley and District Natural History Society our subscription information can be seen in the membership pages.
Winter Programme 2013/14:
24/04/2014 19:30 (4 days until this event)
Latest Forum News
Due to the regrettable demise of our Photo Gallery, I have created a Flickr Galley called "Chorley and District Natural History Society". It can be found here:
The intention is to have a platform to share images of wildlife of the Chorley area. I don't think it is appropriate to post pictures from exotic place on the site. I would hope that members posting on the site would allow our Editor to use the images for newsletters - it would help him greatly. He would ask permission first of course.
I invite all Forum contributors to join the group. To avoid abuse of the site, I will need to approve membership of the group - I will try to do this promptly.
Posted on [Sun, 20 Apr 2014 10:43:50] by [phil kirk].
I regret to say that it looks like the recent hacking of the website was done through the Gallery. The software used to create the Gallery is now obsolete and we assume that the code has been tampered with. This leaves no alternative but to delete the Gallery.
I propose that in the near future, we start up a Flickr Gallery for the Society. These galleries are free, easy to use, and present no security risk to users or to the Society website.
I will keep you informed about this.
I apologise to those of you who have been regular contributors to the Gallery. These Hackers are a pain in the ....
Posted on [Sun, 23 Mar 2014 22:53:12] by [phil kirk].
The Lancashire and Cheshire Fauna Society
I have received this from The Lancashire and Cheshire Fauna Society:
The Lancashire and Cheshire Fauna Society is celebrating its centenary. The Society is responsible for publishing the annual Lancashire Bird Report and occasional reports on other faunal groups. In recent years they have also published two county Bird Atlases (one on-line) and the county Avifauna. Please show your support by joining - just 10 pounds a year. For this you will receive a copy of the Bird Report and any other reports issued, plus the satisfaction of supporting a very worthwhile organisation. Please visit their website www.lacfs.org.uk for further information on membership and the society's activities.
Posted on [Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:28:31] by [phil kirk].
I have received this from East Lancs Ornothological:
Many raptors are still being killed on grouse moors. There is currently an e-petition urging the government to licence grouse moors. Please visit and sign at epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46473
Posted on [Sun, 09 Feb 2014 21:27:39] by [phil kirk].
Camera Trap Event at Brockholes
LWT are organising an event at Brockholes for anyone interested in learning about the use of Camera Traps. Follow the link:
Note: For some reason this link may not be working from the "Home" page. Click on "original post" below and the link works correctly from that! Technology!!
Posted on [Wed, 29 Jan 2014 21:54:56] by [phil kirk].
Find out about the new tern raft built at Big Lodge Yarrow Valley Park, funded by Green Partnership Awards Scheme. More details here.
Latest forum activity
- [Sun, 20 Apr 2014 13:48:06] Ellerbeck, Coppull & Burgh Meadow (Leonard Poxon)
- [Sun, 20 Apr 2014 12:49:00] 20/4/14. wht.coppice etc. (nora west)
- [Sun, 20 Apr 2014 12:28:32] Re : Saturdays Post --Hic Bibi Orange Tips : Re: Re : Saturdays Post --Hic Bibi Orange Tips (Gary)
- [Sun, 20 Apr 2014 10:43:50] Flickr Gallery (phil kirk)
- [Sun, 20 Apr 2014 09:59:08] Re : Saturdays Post --Hic Bibi Orange Tips : Re: Hic Bibi Orange Tips (Leonard Poxon)
- [Sun, 20 Apr 2014 09:57:52] Bretherton & Eccleston etc. (Leonard Poxon)
- [Sun, 20 Apr 2014 09:56:35] Re : Saturdays Post --Hic Bibi Orange Tips (john cobham)
- [Sun, 20 Apr 2014 00:11:57] Chorley Cemetery 19.04.14 (Leonard Poxon)
- [Sat, 19 Apr 2014 22:39:43] Curlews near Denham Quarry (David Holland)
- [Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:56:29] Species recorded in 2014 : Re: Species recorded in 2014 (Neil Southworth)
- [Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:51:56] Yarrow Res / Lead Mines Clough (Neil Southworth)
- [Sat, 19 Apr 2014 18:59:31] Hic Bibi Orange Tip Butterly : Re: Hic Bibi Orange Tip Butterly (john cobham)
- [Sat, 19 Apr 2014 18:55:53] Hic Bibi Orange Tip Butterly (john cobham)
- [Sat, 19 Apr 2014 17:41:41] White Coppice to Heatherlea Woods 06:15 to 09:30 : Re: White Coppice to Heatherlea Woods 06:15 to 09:30 (Leonard Poxon)
- [Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:43:24] Flooded field A49 / charnock richard disused golf course. (gary lilley)
Latest Annual Report
2010 Annual Report
More news and announcements can be seen in our news pages.
Post your recent sightings, request identifications and keep up to date with what is going on in the society.
View memeber photographs and contribute your own.
You can download a file with instructions about viewing and registration here
Misplaced your own copy of a past newsletter? View past issues on-line here.